Monday, September 22, 2008

Left Eye

The other day I was running late for work (like usual), but I wearing a sweet outfit and knew I was looking good, so I didn't mind. As I raced out my building I threw on my aviator shades and strutted down the street and into the train station. 

While on the train I stood against a pole reading The New Yorker and feeling like I was in the opening scene of some eighties movie. The busy city whirling around me. I thought to myself, "I'm soooo New York". I noticed some people looking at me and pointing and I thought, "So they know how fabulous I am too. They probably think I'm someone famous. Psh. Toursits." 

The train reached my stop and I emerged from underground even more full of myself than I was twenty minutes before. I turned on some MGMT and rocked-it down the street. I noticed some more people staring at me, but that only fueled my confidence. I was Annie Hall, I was fucking Carrie Bradshaw, I was...walking down the street with ONE LENS in my sunglasses.

Yes, you read that right. Somehow I had managed to walk all the way from my house, ride the train, arrive at work, and not notice that my left eye had no UV protection whatsoever. I only noticed when I saw my reflection in the door to my office building. 

Maybe it fell out just a moment ago? No, the lens was safely  in my sunglass case, which means, yes, I did in fact walk the whole way with nothing but an empty GOLD-RIM encasing my left eye. 

When I told my co-workers, our receptionist(who we'll call Lady M)said that she liked the look because I had sunglasses on, yet you could see how pretty my eyes are. Nice try lady M. 

P.S. If the hipsters trade in their Kanye shades for ones missing a lens, I expect full credit. 

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha... I still don't believe this story. However, I do believe there's something in it that belongs on the Lady M. Quoteboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this, my friend, is why I always look forward to a new post from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want you to know that I've read this story about 50 times, and laugh EVERY TIME. Because it is amazing.

    I fully expect the trend to catch on by the spring season. Maybe faster, if you wear you glasses like that every day--as though you meant to. :)

    ReplyDelete